Home security is more accessible than ever with the rise of affordable, high-quality PoE (Power over Ethernet) security cameras. PoE security cameras provide ease of setup, crisp video quality, and intelligent features without the need to run power cables. You can easily zoom in to capture explicit facial features, license plates, etc. With the help of a reliable PoE security camera, you can precisely monitor your surroundings. Also, it can record audio and video. With a vast range of PoE cameras on the market, we have highlighted the best ones along with a section on how to choose them.
In this buyer’s guide, we’ll walk you through the key factors to consider when choosing a PoE security camera for home or business use. We’ll overview the benefits of PoE cameras, key specs and features to look for, and provide recommendations on the best PoE security cameras in different price ranges and use cases. Whether you need a single outdoor camera or a full multi-camera system to monitor an office complex, you’ll find the best PoE security camera options for your situation.
List of The Best PoE Security Camera
Check out the thorough reviews of the best PoE security camera in 2023 below.
When it comes to home video surveillance in outstanding resolution, this REOLINK security camera system proves to be one of the best PoE security cameras. The advanced IR light lets you view up to 100 feet of area in the darkness. So, it protects your loved ones and property even at night. Since all accessories are included, the system can be effortlessly installed. Simply attach all the cameras with the NVR and benefit from the security system day and night.
- The video capture resolution is 1920p, 5MP.
- The total number of channels is 8.
- The included memory storage capacity is 2 TB.
- A 1/2.7″ 5MP CMOS (2560 × 1920) image sensor is included.
- The lens supports the focal length of f = 4 mm (fixed); f = 2.0.
- The horizontal and vertical viewing angles are 80° and 58° respectively.
- IEEE 802.3 af/at the standard is supported.
- Other special features are day-and-night-camera, night vision, weatherproof, and app access.
- The built-in mic supports one-way audio recording. So, you won’t miss any skeptical conversation or noise
- The ability to identify vehicles and people minimizes unnecessary alerts created by leaves or bugs.
- General Motion Detection is supported.
- The compatible operating systems are Android, Mac, Windows, and iOS.
- The intuitive Reolink software lets you access your camera system on your smart devices.
- Dimensions and weight: 14.57 x 10.63 x 11.42 inches; 0.01 ounces.
Pros And Cons
With this PoE AI camera, you obtain motion alert notifications and check footage from the Amcrest View app on your smartphone. Also, You can playback and record on a PC via the Amcrest Surveillance Pro software for Mac and Windows. The heavy-duty IP67 weatherproof housing protects the camera against winds, rain, hurricane, and dust. Hence, the camera system is perfect for indoor and outdoor usage. You only need an external PoE injector or switch to operate this IP PoE camera.
- The connectivity technology is wired.
- The video resolution is 4K @15 fps.
- The viewing angle is 129°.
- The special features include portability, night vision, and motion sensing mechanism.
- The low-light image sensor and chipset support up to 49 feet of full night vision.
- The weatherproof, heavy-duty IP67 housing ensures durability.
- The included microphone supports one-way audio.
- Dual H.265/H.264 compression provides maximum encryption with cutting-edge technology. It also offers backward compatibility with leading platforms. Also, it is compatible with Alexa through AmcrestCloud
- The camera comes with a secure SSL/HTTPS connection; CE and FCC certificates. Also, it gets regular firmware updates.
- Multi-View feature lets you view up to 16 cameras simultaneously.
- Dimensions and weight: 6.1 x 6.1 x 5.3 inches; 1.6 pounds.
Pros And Cons
In terms of motion detection accuracy, this Reolink PoE security camera can be your best PoE security camera. The included spotlight and customizable siren would be triggered whenever motion is sensed. The spotlight also supports vivid color night vision. You can schedule the spotlight.
This camera distinguishes cars, humans, and pets from other objects. Subsequently, it sends you corresponding alerts. So, you can personalize the schedule and sensitivity of each detection type to decrease unnecessary alerts. The plug & play convenience simplifies the installation. A single Ethernet cable simultaneously transmits data, power, and audio. From the pack, you get accessories like a network cable (1m), a mounting plate, a pack of screws, a waterproof lid, a surveillance sticker, and a quick start guide.
- The connectivity technology is wired.
- The special features are night vision and motion sensing mechanisms.
- A 1/2.8″ CMOS sensor is used.
- The video resolution is 3840 x 2160 (8.0 MP) at 25 fps.
- The lens has a focal length of f=2.8-8mm, f=1.6, with an IR cut.
- The color night vision supports 700 lumens brightness and 6500K temperature. Its detection range is 30 meters.
- IEEE 802.3af standard is supported.
- The ranges of horizontal and vertical viewing angles are 94°- 50° and 53°- 30° respectively.
- The compatible browsers are Chrome, Edge, Safari, and Firefox.
- The compatible operating systems are Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- H.265 compression offers outstanding encryption.
- The 3x optical zoom lets you zoom in and out in the 4K UHD wide-angle image while preserving the image quality.
- Dimensions and weight: 2.36 x 2.36 x 2.36 inches; 1.1 pounds.
Pros And Cons
The cutting-edge AI technology lets this Hiseeu PoE security camera system distinguish between vehicles, humans, and other objects in the scene. It employs a deep learning algorithm to make this differentiation. You would be alerted whenever a vehicle or person enters your property. You can obtain live video on the local monitor without the network being connected. Besides, when you connect the camera system to the router, you can access all cameras remotely from your smartphone or PC client software anywhere and anytime. These PoE cameras are IP67 Waterproof, so they are suitable for indoor and outdoor video surveillance with up to 65ft night vision feature.
- The connectivity technology is wired.
- The video capture resolution is 4K, 5MP (2560 x 1920).
- The night vision range is 65 feet.
- The special features are waterproof construction, human detection, dual detection zone, vehicle detection, and motion sensing mechanism.
- A total of 16 channels are included.
- The memory storage capacity is 3 TB.
- The compatible operating systems are Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows.
- The compatible devices are smartphones, Pcs, tablets, laptops, TVs, and cameras.
- H.265+ video compression technology is implemented.
- The built-in NVR can power 8 PoE cameras (4K 8MP) simultaneously.
- The viewing angle is 80°.
- The supported hardware interfaces are HDMI, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, VGA, USB 2.0, Ethernet, and Infrared.
- Dimensions and weight: 14 x 13.5 x 12 inches; 22.9 pounds.
Pros And Cons
When it comes to eliminating unnecessary motion-triggered alarms, this Reolink RLC-510A security camera is one of the best PoE security cameras for your needs. The advanced vehicle/person detection and advanced detection algorithms let the camera identify real threats. Hence, your property stays completely secure. You can access outstanding features in the Reolink free Apps (compatible with Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows PC). Moreover, the intuitive software provides you with local/remote access to your area anytime, anywhere.
- A 1/2.7″ CMOS sensor is included.
- The video resolution is 2560 x 1920 (5.0 MP) at 30 fps.
- The lens has a focal length of f=4.0mm (fixed), f=2.0, with an IR cut.
- The night vision range is 30 meters.
- IEEE 802.3af standard is implemented.
- The horizontal and vertical viewing angles are 80° and 42° respectively.
- The compatible browsers are Chrome, Safari, Edge, and Firefox.
- With 3D-DNR technology and 18 specs IR lights, this camera can support night vision for up to 100 feet.
- This camera system supports 24/7 recording or motion detection to an external 128 GB micro SD card/FTP server/NAS/Reolink PoE NVRs.
- Dimensions and weight: 1.06 x 1.06 x 45.47 inches; 0.01 ounces.
Pros And Cons
In the ZOSI PoE security camera system, a single network cable can power the camera and transmit data. So it’s easy to install a security camera even if you don’t have any power outlets nearby. PoE security systems are more reliable and stable than other wireless security systems. In addition, you can browse videos and images of the cameras locally without being connected to the Internet, or remotely access them through mobile apps and PC software, and play them back anytime, anywhere.
ZOSI PoE security cameras also feature advanced motion detection and alert push. ZOSI NVR provides 4 recording modes to meet your various needs, and you can customize different recording modes for each camera.
- The video capture resolution is 1080p, 1944p.
- The special features are night vision (120 feet range), efficient video encoding, PTZ control, night vision, and weatherproof construction.
- The viewing angle is 110°.
- 8 channels are included.
- The memory storage capacity is 2 TB.
- The compatible devices are smartphones, PCs, TVs, tablets, and cameras.
- H.265+ standard is implemented.
- You can personalize the motion detection area in every camera to reduce false alerts from moving objects. Also, it blocks out specific areas to provide privacy.
- 4 types of recording modes are available. They are recorded during scheduled times; Record footage continuously; Only record when detect motion; Recycle record.
- Dimensions and weight: 17.2 x 13 x 10.2 inches; 18.81 pounds.
Pros And Cons
In terms of 4K Ultra HD output with exceptional clarity, this Jennov 8MP PTZ PoE camera can be one of the best PoE security cameras for you. It is implemented with humanoid detection and auto-tracking functions. You can adjust sensitivity or detection area to decrease false alarms. With PoE feature, you only need an Ethernet cable for power and data transmission. From the pack, you get a power supply, an Ethernet cable, screws set, a waterproof cap, and a warning sticker.
- The 4.7~84.6mm motorized lens permits 10x digital zoom and 20x optical zoom without degrading image quality.
- 6 infrared LED lights and advanced night vision enlarge the viewing distance up to 320 feet.
- IR-cut automatically switches day/night mode. Also, it maintains real-time and precise smart motion alarms in the black & white mode, even in darkness.
- Dimensions and weight: 9 x 11 x 5 inches; 4.55 pounds.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best PoE Security Camera?
You can simplify your buying decision for the best PoE security camera after considering the following parameters.
1. Types of PoE security camera systems
Let’s look at the details of different kinds of PoE security camera systems.
i. Bullet security cameras: This type of PoE security camera system is typically compact. As suggested by the name, they are available in lipstick or bullet shape. Usually, they are suitable for outdoor usage. Moreover, they are usually installed in the background or the walls of the front door.
ii. PTZ IP cameras: They are bigger than other cameras. They can rotate in every direction. If you want a camera that can encompass a broad surface area then you can choose PTZ IP cameras. Furthermore, they are suitable for construction sites.
iii. Dome IP security cameras: They are dome-shaped and boast a low-profile design. You can’t gauge their viewing angle from a long distance. Usually, they are mounted on ceilings. You can also mount them indoors and outdoors.
2. Camera resolution
A higher resolution camera lets a PoE security camera provide a clear image and video output. Most PoE security cameras provide 1080p FHD, 2K QHD, or 4K UHD resolution. Make sure to choose the one that offers the best video quality within your budget.
3. Number of cameras
Although a single camera offers a wide field of view, you must install multiple units to encompass the whole area of your home. The inclusion of more cameras in the system makes sure there is no blindspot in the surveillance system. Based on the area of your home, you may need a PoE security camera system with 4 to 8 cameras.
The inclusion of more cameras makes sure additional cameras are not needed. You can use them as spare options if one or more cameras fail. Consequently, you would have a backup option and there is no need to interrupt your system when waiting for a repair.
4. Built-in storage drive
You must connect a hard drive to your camera system and recorder to save the footage from recording. If your system doesn’t include a high-capacity hard drive, you would need to buy a hard drive. So, it would cost you extra. Usually, all PoE security camera systems are equipped with a storage drive. However, you must make sure that it has adequate storage capacity as per your requirements. 1TB, 2TB, or 4TB hard drives are usually recommended options.
5. Night vision
Most PoE security camera systems provide reliable surveillance both day and night. Also, they can record high-quality footage even in full darkness. It is better to test the night vision feature before operating your PoE security system. Make sure your PoE security camera system supports night vision.
6. Other features
Facial recognition is one of the great features you can look for when choosing a PoE security camera system. It automatically identifies faces captured in the footage. Another additional feature you must look for is audio support.
Frequently Asked Questions When Picking PoE Security Camera
1. What kind of cable do PoE security cameras use?
Typically, the older PoE security cameras used Cat5 Ethernet cables. Modern PoE security cameras boast significantly higher resolutions. So, it is recommended to use Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cables. Such cables facilitate video transmissions at 1 Gbps or higher speed. Note that most PoE security cameras already incorporate a suitable Ethernet cable.
2. How many PoE security cameras can NVRs support?
The number of channels determines the number of PoE cameras that NVR can support. The majority of NVRs for residential use either include 8 or 16 channels. It means that they support up to 8 or 16 cameras, respectively.
3. Why do PoE security cameras guarantee outstanding image quality?
All PoE security camera systems including the best ones use an Ethernet cable that supports a higher bandwidth than a wireless connection. It implies that you benefit from outstanding image quality and also can zoom in on particular features although you are away.
With this buyer’s guide, you now have the key information needed to select the ideal PoE security camera for your home or business needs. The major factors to consider are your intended use case, desired features, video and image quality requirements, and budget. For most home use, one of the 2K video resolution options we reviewed will provide excellent sharpness while keeping costs down. Prioritize easy installation, mobile app access, and intelligent alerts. For businesses or high-security areas, opt for professional grade 4K or 5K cameras with higher-end components and more advanced AI analytics.
No matter which PoE security camera you choose, look for trusted brands known for reliability, image accuracy, and responsive customer support. Take time planning camera placement and settings to get the coverage you want. Once installed, a quality PoE security camera system will provide immense peace of mind knowing your property is protected 24/7. We hope this guide gave you the insights needed to pick the perfect PoE security camera for any situation. Just remember your intended use, key features, video quality, and budget as you shop.
Enjoyed this article on the best PoE security camera? Then be sure to check out our other guides.