A network switch is one of the best investments you can make to manage a 2.5GbE network. It can provide ample power points from a single socket across a large distance. If you want to obtain this benefit along with the PoE technology then you can consider investing in a 2.5Gb PoE switch. These switches pass data and electric power over twisted-pair Ethernet cables to operate devices like IP cameras, access points, gaming desktops, USB adapters, VoIP phones, etc.
They help you to manage a 2.5GbE network with high-speed connectivity. They allow compatible devices to work in places where network connections or power outlets don’t exist. Moreover, they allow an RJ45 patch cable to deliver both data and power to connected edge devices rather than using a separate cable for each. The following article helps you to pick the best 2.5GB PoE switch and benefits you from high-speed connectivity and power transfer.
List of The Best 2.5GB PoE Switch
Check out the thorough reviews of the best 2.5GB PoE switch below.
1. TP-Link Jetstream 8 Port 2.5GB PoE Switch TL-SG3210XHP-M2
If you want to have super-fast connections with efficient network performance then this TP-Link PoE switch is the best 2.5GB PoE switch for you. It is equipped with eight 2.5Gbps PoE ports that provide multi-gig bandwidth and the highest possible performance. Omada app and Remote cloud access provide centralized cloud management of the entire network from various sites. They control your network from a single interface anytime, anywhere.
- Two 10G lightning-fast Uplink SFP+ slots provide non-blocking switching capacity and high-bandwidth connectivity.
- The switch achieves flexible PoE port configuration with the eight PoE+(802.3at/af) Mbps RJ45 ports (support 10/100/1000). The power output per port is 30W.
- The total PoE budget is 240W.
- Static Routing is the L2+ feature that routes internal traffic to efficiently use network resources.
- Omada’s Software Defined Networking (SDN) platform incorporates network devices like access points, switches, and gateways. This integration takes place with various control options like Omada Software Controller, Omada Hardware controller, or Omada Cloud-based controller.
- The list of advanced security features includes IP-MAC-Port binding, 802.1Q VLAN, Port Security, ACL, Storm control, DoS defend, 802.1X radius authentication, DHCP Snooping, and more.
Pros And Cons
2. NETGEAR 8-Port Ultra60 2.5GB PoE Switch (MS108EUP)
Netgear MS108EUP switch is the best 2.5GB PoE switch for those organizations that purchase infrastructure for long-term use and need future-proofing. It helps you to deploy PoE+ and PoE++ devices with both 1G and 2.5G speeds. The Netgear WAX610 and WAX218 WiFi 6 access points that contain a 2.5G Ethernet port are the ideal companions to this PoE switch. A lifetime limited hardware warranty is available with the purchase of this Netgear 2.5GB PoE switch.
- It contains eight 1G/2.5G Multi-Gig Ethernet ports. Each of them automatically identifies the speed required by the connected device and eventually offers the optimal connection speed.
- Four Ultra60 PoE++ and four PoE+ auto-adjustable multispeed Ethernet ports are included with a total power budget of 230W. Each of the four Ultra60 PoE++ ports can deliver up to 60W to drive connected devices like LED lighting, IoT devices, PTZ cameras, and high-power IP speakers (for use in noise-sensitive environments).
- The built-in Plus software boasts an easy-to-use interface. It provides fundamental managed capabilities to secure, configure, and monitor your network.
- The switch is designed in IEEE802.3az compliant energy-efficient design.
- To let it work in different outdoor conditions, Netgear designed it with IP65 International Protection Rating.
- The total power budget is 230W.
Pros And Cons
3. QNAP 20-Port 10GbE and 2.5GbE PoE+ Switch (QSW-M2116P-2T2S-US)
This QNAP 20 port PoE switch comes with 16 2.5GbE PoE+ ports and 2 10GbE PoE++ ports, which provides wide bandwidth to improve your access and storage experience. It supports high-speed 2.5GbE connectivity that boasts significant performance improvement compared to standard 1GbE connectivity. The included components are a power cord, rackmount kit, and rubber feet.
- Two 10GBASE-T ports support five speeds (100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G). They can quickly transmit data when existing cables are used.
- Two 10GbE SFP+ ports are compatible with the Internet, core switches, routers, and NAS to meet the high bandwidth requirements of robust data centers or networks.
- The switch is powered through QNAP’s QSS (QNAP Switch System) switch OS. The OS is equipped with an intuitive web GUI and extra functions to streamline network management and setup.
- Layer 2 management features like VLAN, LACP, LLDP, and ACL are implemented. They help the switch achieve network security and bandwidth management.
- The total power budget of 280W fulfills the demands of high-powered devices (PDs).
- The switch is compatible with 10GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T technologies.
Pros And Cons
4. Cisco 8 Port Managed 2.5G PoE Switch (SG350X-8PMD)
This Cisco 8 port PoE switch is the best 2.5GB PoE switch in terms of functionality, performance, and ease of use. It supports advanced availability protocols and stacking capabilities. The switch is suitable for existing and future business applications because it supports advanced security, Layer 2 and 3 features, energy-saving technology, and routing.
The built-in security features including Cisco Umbrella reduce expensive breaches and protect privacy. The mobile and web network management tools enable quick setup and free up valuable resources and time for growth. The pack contains components like a power cord, rubber feet, a rack-mount kit, a pointer card with DB-9 to RJ45 Serial cable, a quick start guide, and technical support contacts.
- There are 8 Multi-gigabit 2.5G PoE ports with a power budget of 240W.
- Two 10G combo SFP+ ports offer high-bandwidth connectivity and efficient switching capacity.
- L2+/L3 features implemented are QoS, static routing, voice/guest VLAN, IGMP snooping, MSTP, time-based access control lists, Web-based Authentication, 802.1x, IP Source Guard, and IPv6 First Hop-Security.
- Other features include WebUI, SNMP, CLI, PnP, Cisco FindIT Network Manager, auto-discovery, Auto Smartports, and zero-touch deployment.
Pros And Cons
5. Ubiquiti Enterprise 48 Port 2.5GbE PoE Switch (USW-Enterprise-48-PoE)
Ubiquiti designed this fully managed PoE switch with 48 x 2.5GbE PoE+ RJ45 ports, and 4 x 10G SFP+ ports. The intuitive UniFi mobile app and network web application allow you to remotely configure and monitor your switch. You can check the details about the system and connection from the 1.3-inch LCM color touchscreen. This display is equipped with AR switch management.
- The PoE RJ45 ports support 100/1000/2500 speed.
- The total non-blocking throughput is 160 Gbps.
- The switching capacity is 320 Gbps.
- The forwarding rate is 238.095 Mbps.
- The total PoE supply is 720W. The power is fed from USP RPS DC input.
- The maximum power consumption is 100W.
- In addition to Layer 3 switching functionality, this switch provides various Layer 2 switching protocols including port-specific operation modes (mirroring, switching, or aggregate).
- The switch provides efficient power supply failure protection when you connect it to the SmartPower Redundant Power System. You can separately buy USP RPS.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best 2.5GB PoE Switch?
The buying decision for the best 2.5GB PoE switch depends on various factors ranging from PoE budget to operating noise. The following section discusses all these key factors.
1. Power supply standards
It is vital to determine the power supply protocol (like 802.3at, 802.3af, or non-standard PoE) supported. Make sure that the PoE power supply protocol that the switch supports equates to that of the powered terminal.
The 802.1af standard 2.5Gb PoE switch delivers 15.4W of the single-port output power. The 802.3at standard 2.5Gb PoE switch delivers 30W of single-port output power. It is advisable to use an 802.3at standard (PoE+) PoE switch if you want to run a power-hungry device.
You need to consider the overall power of the PoE switch in addition to the single-port output power and the power supply protocol. The higher the total power, the stronger would be the power supply ability.
2. PoE Budget
The ability of the 2.5GbPoE switch to drive connected devices significantly depends on the size of its power supply which ranges from 50W to 500W. This power budget directly impacts the amount of power per port the switch can provide to connected devices. If you want to connect plenty of devices simultaneously then make sure to choose a 2.5Gb PoE switch with more than a 240W power budget.
3. Managed or Unmanaged
You can consider buying a 2.5Gb PoE managed switch if you want to configure additional features. The unmanaged 2.5Gb PoE switches are plug-and-play, so you will only have 2.5GbE ports to use.
4. Number of ports
Your 2.5Gb PoE switch would be connected with PoE PD devices as an access layer switch. So, you must consider the number of PD devices to decide the number of interfaces of the PoE switch. You also need to consider the rate of the terminal devices based on the data type, for example, 11AC EAP must connect with a Gigabit PoE switch. Usually, the number of ports in these switches varies from 4 to 48. You first need to consider the number of powered terminals and accordingly choose a 2.5Gb PoE switch with these many ports.
5. Network Management
You need to look through several network management features to ensure the effective administration of your network. You can look for various network configurations like VLAN, link aggregation, IGMP, bandwidth controls, port mirroring, loopback detection, per port MAC restriction, QoS, and dynamic ARP inspection.
6. LCD Display
Certain 2.5Gb unmanaged PoE switches are equipped with an LCD screen on the front panel. The panel offers network admins real-time details like the amount of power each connected PoE device uses, the total power used by all the connected devices, and the overall power fed to the switch. The panel provides alters about potential issues and warnings for high temperature, overload, short-circuit protection, and other scenarios.
7. Operating noise
The best 2.5GB PoE switch are equipped with smart fans that save energy by automatically adjusting the fan speed and uses depending on cooling needs. Make sure to look for a 2.5Gb PoE switch with a quiet fan to ensure silent operation in your home or office.
Frequently Asked Questions When Picking The Best 2.5GB PoE Switch
1. Can you connect a 2.5Gb PoE switch to a normal switch?
No, PoE connectivity is only provided to devices that are directly connected to the PoE switch. The PoE connectivity is provided only upon request. Note that PoE doesn’t carry through additional switches, so the last switch before the device must be the PoE switch.
2. Can you use a regular switch for a PoE connection?
A regular switch is not PoE-enabled to deliver power over Ethernet. However, you can convert a regular switch into a PoE-enabled by connecting a PoE splitter or a PoE injector. You need to consider the advantages and limitations of PoE devices for the network before using a regular switch as a PoE switch.
3. Does a 2.5Gb PoE switch need special wiring?
A 2.5Gb PoE switch doesn’t need any special wiring. It uses the same Ethernet cables (Cat 5e, Cat 6, etc.) and the RJ45 connectors which are used for LANs. The standard Ethernet cables (Cat 5e or higher version) contain four twisted pairs of cable, a 2.5Gb PoE switch delivers power to devices through these cables.
You don’t need to use special cables or connectors to use 2.5GbE connections. The 2.5Gb PoE switches can build a high-speed network environment for data and electric power transmission at cost-effective prices. They considerably enhance the performance and speed of your network compared to standard Ethernet switches. The best 2.5GB PoE switch offers benefits like high-speed connectivity, no bottlenecks, advanced network security features, efficient use of network resources, and more. They make sure each connected device receives enough bandwidth.
Enjoyed the 2.5GB PoE switch review? Then be sure to check out our other guides.
Excellent review for 2.5gb poe switch, please keep updating new reviews.
Sure, hope you enjoy the articles