The application of PoE power supply technology has been greatly popularized in recent years, and PoE switches have also been applied in more and more security monitoring projects. However, there are still quite a few people who do not have a clear understanding of the difference between PoE switch and Non-PoE switch. So today, let’s talk about the difference between the two.
Both PoE switches and Non-PoE switches are a kind of network transmission equipment, but there are still essential differences between the two. It can be said that the PoE switch is an upgraded version of the Non-PoE switch. Non-PoE switches can only transmit data, but PoE switches can not only transmit data, but also transmit power at the same time.
Can a PoE switch be used as a Non-PoE switch?
PoE switches can be used as normal switches, but they must be PoE switches that support the 802.3at/af protocol produced by regular manufacturers, because these PoE switches will provide a low voltage to detect whether the front-end equipment supports PoE before supplying power. If the device is not, it will not supply power. If it is, the PoE switch will gradually increase the voltage to complete the power supply. Therefore, the PoE switch can be used as a normal switch, but the price of the PoE switch is many times that of a normal switch. It is too wasteful to use it as a normal switch.
What is the difference between PoE switch and Non-PoE switch?
In addition to providing the transmission function of normal switches, PoE switches can also provide power supply functions for devices at the other end of the network cable. For example, if there is a digital surveillance camera (which needs power supply to work normally), it is not connected to the power supply, but it is connected to an normal switch through a network cable. In this case, the camera will not work. If the camera is not connected to the power supply, but its transmission network cable is connected to the PoE switch, the camera will work normally.
1. Different stability
PoE switches are switches that support power supply to network cables. Compared with Non-PoE switches, power receiving terminals (such as APs, IP cameras, etc.) do not need to carry out power wiring, which is more reliable for the entire network.
2. Different transmission functions
In addition to providing the transmission function of Non-PoE switches, PoE switches can also provide power supply functions for devices at the other end of the network cable.
3. The cost is different
PoE switches have many advantages. In addition to not having to pull extra wires, they can also save costs. The system is more flexible, and later upgrades and maintenance are simple.
4. Different power supply methods
PoE switches can not only realize the data transmission function of Non-PoE switches, but also supply power to network terminals at the same time. Non-PoE switches mainly have the function of exchanging data, and do not have the function of power supply.
5. Manage differently
The difference between a PoE switch and a Non-PoE switch is that a PoE switch with good performance can also easily manage the power supply of each PoE port and the entire device through a user-friendly operation interface, which is more convenient to control.
Advantages of PoE Switch VS Non-PoE switch
- PoE only needs to install and support one cable, which is simple and space-saving, and the device can be moved freely.
- Cost saving. Many live devices, such as video surveillance cameras, need to be installed in places where it is difficult to deploy AC power. PoE eliminates the need for expensive power supplies and the time it takes to install power supplies, saving costs and time.
- Like data transmission, PoE can monitor and control the device by using Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
- The PoE power sourcing device will only supply power to the device that needs power supply. Only when the device that needs power supply is connected, the Ethernet cable will have voltage, thus eliminating the risk of leakage on the cable.
- A single UPS can provide power for all related equipment when the power is off.
- Users can automatically and safely mix legacy devices and PoE devices on the network, and these devices can coexist with existing Ethernet cables.
- Make network devices easy to manage. Because when the remote device is connected to the network, it can be remotely controlled, reconfigured or reset.
- In the wireless local area network, PoE can simplify the radio frequency test task, and the access point can be easily moved and connected.
Enjoyed this guide of PoE switch vs Non-PoE switch? Then be sure to check out our other guides.