A typical wireless access point is a network device that sends and receives data on a wireless local area network (WLAN). It serves as the interconnection point between a fixed wired network and the WLAN. The PoE access point is a kind of wireless router that permits users to transmit data through their home’s wireless network. Usually, they are used in regions with restricted or no wired network resources. For example, they are used in schools, hospitals, and other business premises.
They can work as DHCP servers, routers, L2TP/IPSec VPN servers, and other devices that offer Internet access to your device. You need not install additional wiring, simply connect it to the existing Ethernet cables. They provide high performance per dollar and sustainable business-class quality assurance. You can choose the best PoE access point from the following list to obtain efficient wireless performance for your network.
List of The Best PoE Access Point
Check out the thorough reviews of the best PoE access point below.
1. TP-Link EAP610 AX1800 Wireless Gigabit PoE Access Point
If you want an access point with the latest wireless technology then this TP-Link PoE access point can be the best PoE access point for you. It is implemented with cutting-edge Wi-Fi 6 technology that features a long OFDM symbol and 1024-QAM to boost the dual Wi-Fi speed. So, you can power your devices with up to 1800 Mbps wireless speed. The four spatial streams significantly increase the multi-user throughput to power more applications.
It supports 802.3at Power over Ethernet (PoE+), so you don’t need to install extra wiring. Just plug it into the existing Ethernet cables. The installation is simplified with its compact, ultra-slim, and space-saving design. Its exquisite design impeccably blends with any modern offices, classrooms, cafes, hotels, etc.
- It supports Omada SDN (Software Defined Networking) platform that supports various control options. These options are Omada Software Controller, Hardware controller, Cloud-based controller, and Standalone mode.
- Omada app and remote cloud access help the access point to achieve centralized cloud management of the entire network from various sites. So, you can control all devices via a single interface anytime, anywhere.
- The advanced wireless features include Mesh WiFi, Seamless Roaming, Load Balancing, Band Steering, Beamforming technology, and Airtime Fairness.
- Mesh technology wireless extends your WiFi signal and optimizes the best path for transmission.
- Seamless roaming automatically directs clients to this access point with the best quality signal. No compromise to signal clients even while clients are moving. So, seamless routing makes sure video conferences and VoIP applications operate uninterruptedly.
Pros And Cons
2. Ubiquiti Networks UniFi nanoHD PoE Access Point
You can set up this UniFi nanoHD AP in dense environments that demand minimal footprint and maximum wireless performance. This Ubiquiti PoE access point provides a continuous strong WiFi signal and supports 200+ concurrent Users. Besides, the Ubiquiti AP comes equipped with a single Gigabit Ethernet 802.3af PoE port and includes mounting kits for easy installation to either the wall or ceiling.
- You can separately install the access point from Ubiquiti Networks into any building environment. This is made possible with the optional skins available in various designs including concrete, camouflage, wood, marble, and fabric.
- The connectivity speed is 1733 Mbps in the 5 GHz band.
- The included mounting kits allow you to install this access point on a wall or ceiling.
Pros And Cons
3. NETGEAR WiFi 6 PoE Access Point (WAX214)
The Netgear WAX214 is one of the best PoE access points capable to deliver high-performance Wi-Fi for homes and offices. It is ideal for use in areas like professional offices, waiting rooms, lobbies, retail showrooms, healthcare centers, etc.
It is implemented with cutting-edge WiFi 6 technology to provide efficient performance, security, and coverage. It keeps your clients and guests connected while also keeping your office network secure. You can use this Netgear PoE access point to create a distinct, secure wireless network for a room. If you aim to deploy an extended network far from the main wireless router you can use this access point.
The Netgear setup wizard simplifies configuration and setup. Installing on a ceiling or wall offers optimal WiFi network coverage in any space. The pack includes an installation guide and warranty information card.
- Dual-Band AX1800 wireless speed and MU-MIMO technology support a maximum of 128 client devices.
- The wireless security standards supported are WPA, WPA2, and WPA3.
- With multiple SSIDs, the access point provides up to 4 isolated and secure wireless networks to handle device access.
Pros And Cons
4. TP-Link EAP245 AC1750 PoE Wireless Access Point
The cutting-edge 802.11ac Wave 2 MU-MIMO technology is implemented in the TP-Link EAP245 access point. It can simultaneously power multiple devices through dual-band Wi-Fi speeds reaching 1750 Mbps. It supports both Passive PoE and 802.3af/at PoE power supply. You can either power it through the included PoE adapter or a PoE switch. Hence, the deployment is flexible and easy.
- It is integrated into Omada SDN with three control options. These options are Omada Software Controller, Hardware Controller, and Cloud-Based Controller. Standalone mode is supported.
- Omada SDN controllers can also help you extend the WiFi signal and optimize the best route between EAPs.
- The built-in Omada app and remote cloud access help the access point to achieve central cloud management of the entire network from multiple sites. They control all your devices from one interface.
- The advanced wireless features implemented are Seamless Roaming, Band Steering, Mesh WiFi, Airtime Fairness, and Beamforming technologies.
Pros And Cons
5. Meraki Go Indoor PoE WiFi Access Point
If you are looking to deploy Cloud managed WiFi network for small businesses then this Meraki PoE AP can be the best PoE access point to consider. It is especially suited for professional environments with a built-in easy-to-use app. Small business owner can use this access point to improve their business efficiency, and customer engagement, and achieve optimal resource utilization.
Meraki Go mobile app helps you to easily manage this access point from anywhere. Once properly configured and managed, the access point guarantees improved network performance. You can easily add various admins to effectively manage your networking device. The app’s graphics provide enough insights into the activities happening in your network. You need not stay on the site to check real-time info or make changes.
The accessories contained in the pack are a power supply unit, a screw and wall mount kit, an Ethernet cable, and a quick start guide. Technical support and automatic updates (for software, firmware, security, and new functionalities) are also included.
- It works on 802.11ac Wave 2 standard.
- It supports 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g/n client access radio and 5 GHz 802.11a/n/ac client access radio.
- It allows you to create guest WiFi with a tap and a custom loading page in seconds. Also, it allows you to use guest insights to engage with customers more.
- The features that guarantee peace of mind are troubleshooting tools, remote visibility, and alerts through the Meraki Go mobile app.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best PoE Access Point?
You can explore the wonderful features of the best PoE access point if you take into account the following factors.
One of the prime reasons many users need to deploy a PoE access point is to boost the range of their network and ascertain that all the devices can be connected to a single network. So, it is imperative to make sure that your PoE access point supports adequate range to connect all those devices that are installed outside.
Usually, a limited-range outdoor access point can’t connect with the smart light or CCTV camera that is installed on the reverse side of your office or home. It will create a blind spot in a network that is not advantageous. Hence, your PoE access point should support a coverage range of at least more than or equal to the area of your real estate.
2. Bandwidth Capacity
These access points come with a limited bandwidth capacity, denoted in Mbps. Although you may not need bandwidth capacity in Gigabit speed, you need to consider your future usage and purchase the PoE access point accordingly. You may install a certain device in your area later or that may demand higher bandwidth capacity for downloading/uploading huge data or streaming content. Hence, it is better to buy a PoE access point with a high bandwidth capacity.
3. Wireless Standards
You can buy a PoE access point with an Ethernet 802.3af PoE-compliant network port to benefit from the energy-efficient operation. Usually, those PoE access points equipped with the latest 802.11ac wireless standard deliver dual-band Wi-Fi speeds to simultaneously power multiple devices. Those PoE access points with 802.3at PoE+ standard don’t need additional wiring for installation.
4. Network Bands
It is better to go for a PoE access point with at least dual-band network support. This is because the dual-band support provides a 5GHz WiFi band that provides significantly more bandwidth capacity than that of a 2.4GHz network. The support for a 5GHz WiFi band lets you stream quality content from the Internet to your smartphone or laptop. A PoE access point with a 2.4GHz band is suitable if you don’t want to use the access point for intensive applications.
5. Setup mechanism
Most PoE access points can be set up in any of these two configurations:
i. Mounting on wall or ceiling:
Commonly, the size of wall-mounted and ceiling-mounted PoE access points is identical to a smoke detector. They provide seamless coverage in the entire room. Whether you mount them on a wall or ceiling, they will need power and a wired Internet connection.
ii. Standalone design:
The standalone PoE access points can mount on any surface and appear identical to a standard wireless router. They provide excellent flexibility because you can frequently move them as per your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions When Picking PoE Access Point
1. Why is it necessary to buy a PoE access point with a long warranty period?
Your PoE access point may be subjected to changing weather and other factors like dust, rain, and moisture. So, there are high chances of damage to these devices. You can ensure protection by buying a PoE access point with a long warranty period.
2. What is the benefit of buying a PoE access point with USB ports?
It is better to buy a PoE access point with one or two USB ports so that you can connect a printer or hard drive. Note that the inclusion of USB ports is not mandatory.
3. How can you benefit from a guest network through a PoE access point?
After you set up your WiFi network, you can use the PoE access point software to deploy a distinct guest network. The guest network permits you to provide WiFi connectivity to friends and family when they visit your network. No worries about providing them unsecured access to your network.
A PoE access point provides you access to a fast and powerful Internet connection even if you are outside. Installing it helps you to boost the performance of your network without having to configure any changes to them. You can set up the best PoE access point so that it can be used as a standby option and you can enable it when you want an extended network outside your home or office.
Enjoyed the PoE access point review? Then be sure to check out our other guides.